This is Modemsite.com
Modemsite.com - Helping you get the best performance from your modem
 Troubleshooting News Technical Search
  Home Forum 56 Site Map

3Com Sportster V.90 code that prevents 56k connections

The following newsgroup post appeared 6/19/98 in comp.dcom.modems:

From: Cazador@safari.net (Cazador)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
Subject: USRobotics (3COM) Modem Users -
         Drop in connection speed after V.90 upgrade - read inside
Message-ID: <358ad6e8.4870786@news.sybercom.net>

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:22:09 GMT
NNTP-Posting-Host: cyberstar-nn067.vabch.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:22:09 EST

Recommendation: If you've experienced a drop in connection speeds
after upgrading a USR modem to V.90, don't waste your time searching
for a "fix" via the newsgroups. The problem is almost certainly with
the modem (upgrade) itself.... and you won't find anything on USR's
web site that addresses the problem or even acknowledges it. Go
straight to USR (3COM) and tell them that you want a RSO (Repair
Service Order) to have your modem fixed. Most of their modems (if
registered) have a 5 year warranty. This puts the ball in their
court. The URL is: support@usr.com

Background: I have a internal 3COM (USR) Sportster modem mod#
00084004 (originally a 33.6Kbps - upgraded to X2). Following the X2
upgrade, I logged onto my ISP at a CONSISTENT 46.6Kbps. 

Four days ago, I made the mistake of upgrading to V.90 and my speed
dropped to 31.2Kbps (never varied).

My ISP has 5 lines providing X2/V.90 capability and I was obtaining
the same results on all of them. These are the same lines I was using
to obtain 46.6Kbps a week ago and the ISP said nothing had been
changed. 

I downloaded and installed the Windows Driver recommended by 3COM for
use with the 84-004 modem - located at:

http://www.3com.com/56k/usr/upgrade/muw.html

I also deleted the modem and reinstalled everything. Nothing worked.

My last attempt was to try the 56K troubleshooting recommendations at:

http://pages.prodigy.net/bbhi/r-rnut-x2-3.htm#v90numbers

These included disabling the V.90 function as well as disabling both
the X2 & V.90 functions. Again, nothing worked and I searched
the entire 3COM/USR site looking for info on this problem..... to no
avail. I also checked my line (repeatedly) using the USR Line Test #
(1-888-877-9248) - login as "Line" & "Test". It consistently checked
out ok for 56k usage.

I contacted USR, outlined the problems I was having (above) and
requested a RSO on Sunday, 14 June. I received a reply on Monday and
received the RSO number on Wednesday. I mailed the modem in today.
3COM says that turn-around time is 7-10 days from date of receipt at
the repair facility. 

To make a long story a little shorter: 3COM didn't hassle, haggle, or
dispute the fact that the upgrade didn't take...... they just said
send it in. That indicates (to me) that they are aware of the problem
and are probably hoping that most people just won't press the issue.

To cap it all, today I purchased a brand new 3COM V.90 modem,
installed it, and obtained a rock solid ** 48000Kbps ** login to my
ISP on the first dial. A half-dozen follow up logins on the primary
and alternate access numbers produced the same rock solid 48Kbps
connection.

It wasn't my line, my computer, or my setup. It was the USR
modem/upgrade..... and from what I've seen on this NG and others, the
problem certainly isn't limited to the 00084004 model modem.

Don't waste your time if you're having problems: Start pushing the
buttons at USR!

-------------------------

PS: My thanks to "Hooda Gest" for his/her help in checking out the
ISP access and making follow-up recommendations.

                  

Home  |  Links  |  Send Feedback  |  Privacy Policy  | Report Broken Link
Legal Page  |  Author's Web Sites   |  Log In   
 

Modemsite.com 1998-2016 v.Richard Gamberg. All rights reserved.